[RNLD] What’s a good Database for recordings, transcriptions, photos etc?

Susan Ford susan.ford at anu.edu.au
Fri Jun 22 01:33:57 EDT 2018

Hi Vaso

I agree with Nick's remark that while you are deciding on a database management system (dbms), good idea to keep data in a spreadsheet, taking care to think about what data goes with what and what is dependent on what. Use separate tabs for separate things, e.g a tab for people data, a tab for 'about a language' data, a tab for 'about a place' data, etc. Most dbmses can easily upload data from spreadsheets.  However, move to a real dbms as soon as you can.

Filemaker: we currently have a Filemaker database for ethnographic data for fieldsites in southern NG (name, DOB when we can get it, clan, other affiliations, household members, languges spoken etc.). Runs on Windows and Mac. We run as a peer-to-peer network, i.e. everyone who needs to access the db has a copy of Filemaker and connects to a single copy running the database. We currently have a problem in that IT services are not used to running this kind of network so it relies on my being available to solve problems, and on keeping a dedicated always-up PC. On the database design side of things, you can implement a very sophisticated db, also very large ones (ours is very small) with multiple indexes enabling very efficient queries across the whole database.  Cons: you can implement a relational model but the implementation is a very idiosynchratic proprietry one, meaning a steep learning curve for anything realistic. Cost as I recall is about $250-$350 per seat. There are no other costs for our peer-to-peer implementaiton, though FM have other network offerings.

Microsoft Access: a much more obvious implementation of a relational db so anyone with a vague understanding of normalisation could do a useful db ('person X may speak language Y at place Z and have affiliations A, B, C' kind of thing). Import and export to other formats easy.  Design of data collection screens is easy for simple database structures, not easy for complex databases. Cons: only for Windows; it's proprietary!

MySQL: open source implementation of a relational db with SQL (=structured query language) for doing queries and updates.  Can do very large databases. Very good, free, utilities to do database management - either MySQL Workbench or PhPAdmin. You design input (data entry) and output screens in any language you like (well, a few). By far most implementaitons use the free, open source, language PhP (could use Perl or Python) and allow access over the Internet.  This brings a separate piece of software called a Web server into the picture. The industry standard Web Server is Apache, also free and open source.  So when doing database development and testing PhP code (if you are developing n PhP), whihc runs on the server, you need to run your own Web server and your own copy of the database. You do this by setting up an XAMPP environment - very easy single download package. X stands for cross-platform, i.e. runs on Linux and Windows and Mac. I currently run some MySQL databases about historical bibliogrpahic data which holds interesting events and time-dependent data which may be parallel to your lingusitic data.

All the above can store any type of data or object including text, images, videos etc.

Why all this talk about 'relational'?  Well, it is now a very mature database structure as well as a very mature methodology for designing your database in the first place. And nowadays it is the latter - the work put in to understanding and modelling the data at the beginning stages of setting up the database - which is the strength of relational.

However, there are also 'NoSQL' databases = not (only) SQL, such as data structured around RDF triples, which have a 'smaller' structure and are therefore more easily extensible, in that they consist of atomic assertions e.g. 'Paul is-fluent-in-language Nen', 'Peter does-not-know-the-language English', (subject/predicate/object) where the subject is the thing you want to say something about (Paul/Peter), the predicate is the thing you want to say (is-fluent-in-language/does-not-know-the-language) and the object is the value (Nen/English). An rdf triple database is usually created via a LOD (linked open data) approach, i.e. you grab other people's data - any that other groups have made open and accessible - to join with yours either permanently, or for one-off queries.

Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss this stuff.

Regards

Susan

Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity, ANU  / Digital Humanities Research Group, Western Sydney University
E: susan.ford at anu.edu.au  / s.ford at westernsydney.edu.au