[RNLD] Archiving SayMore files

John Hatton john_hatton at sil.org
Wed Mar 14 19:18:08 EDT 2018

 Note that SayMore already automatically creates a single file that
combines all the annotations, and places it, indented, below the .eaf
(ELAN) file. If you have just speech followed by careful speech, you get a
wav with the original and careful taking turns. If you also record a
translation, then you get a 3 tracks, this time with the original, careful,
and translation all taking turns, one after the other. Here's an annotated
screenshot from audacity of the saymore's generated "Oral Annotations" file
to illustrate that:

I was thinking such a combined file was a good archival artifact capturing
the whole BOLD package. Probably we need some kind of note when you export
the IMDI telling people that your language archive is not going to want the
contents of the folder with all the little recordings, but that all that
information is encoded in this single file.

It's exciting to hear that at least one researcher is doing BOLD. We'd love
to hear experiences or announcements on the SayMore forum,
https://community.software.sil.org/c/saymore.

Regards,

John Hatton

Senior Software Engineer/Program Manager
Language Software Development
SIL International