[RNLD] Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub - Wednesday, 11 April

Andrew Tanner trainer2 at rnld.org
Thu Mar 29 06:58:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

If you're in Melbourne on Wednesday, 11 April, come along to Linguistics in
Pub. This month Lee Murray from Monash has got a great topic for us on new
directions in Australian sociolinguistics.

*Where to now for Australian English sociolinguistics?
<http://www.rnld.org/MLIP_April11_2018>*

*Discussion led by*: Lee Murray

After a relatively slow start over the mid-to-late 20th century, Australian
English sociolinguists have been making up for lost time.  We are rapidly
building our knowledge of sociolinguistic variation in AusE, particularly
in quantitative studies of sociophonetic variation (e.g. by Cox and
colleagues at Macquarie, Loakes and colleagues at Melbourne, Travis and
colleagues at ANU) and in syntactic and discourse-pragmatic variation (e.g.
Rodriguez Louro and colleagues at UWA).

With the development of a solid knowledge base of quantitative variation in
AusE, we have also begun to study social meanings of AusE variation and how
these manifest in social interaction (e.g. Murray, Willoughby, Manns and
colleagues at Monash, Penry Williams at La Trobe).  We also have a growing
body of research into language contact situations involving AusE and other
Australian languages, particularly in remote areas of Australia.

So, with the field of AusE sociolinguistics as it currently stands:

   - Which social groups should we consider studying?
   - Which language/discourse variables should we consider studying?
   - Which contexts of use should we consider studying?
   - Are there language contact situations specific to Melbourne/Victoria
   that we could be studying?
   - Does the Australian/Victorian context present any specific challenges
   for our research?

What’s next?