[RNLD] Karama

Doug Marmion douglas.marmion at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 20 23:57:16 EST 2018

At https://placenames.nt.gov.au/origins/greater-darwin#k I see ‘Karama’ listed with the following text:

Karama (Suburb)
Darwin

One of the new Northern Suburbs built in the 1979/80 period. In 1964, Douglas Lockwood recommended that a number of tribal names be used for neighbourhood units or suburbs of Darwin. Karama and Garawa were listed, but Karama was preferred although Welfare authorities felt that Garawa was more correct. Karama is pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable.

So that suggests it could be some kind of misreading or variant form of ‘Garawa’? I had assumed ‘Douglas 1964’ referred to one of his two books of that year, but maybe it’s some other document, perhaps handwritten?

-Doug