[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub Melbourne: 'Citing linguistic data' Tuesday 16th October

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:27:31 EDT 2018

*Where does this sentence come from? Citing linguistic data*

Linguists rely on data to form analyses of how language works, and use
examples to illustrate this analysis. While we agree there is basic best
practice for citing examples from existing publications, there is still no
consistent standard for citing primary data (Berez-Kroeker, et al., 2018).
In this LIP discussion, we'll talk about the importance of citing data for
the original research, subsequent analysis and community uses of linguistic
data. Using the Austin Principles of Data Citation, a position statement
from over 40 linguists, as a basis of the discussion, we'll discuss the
current state of research data management, and how linguistics can move
towards data citation standards.

Discussion lead by: Lauren Gawne (La Trobe University, and the Research
Data Alliance's Linguistics Data Interest Group
<https://www.rd-alliance.org/groups/linguistics-data-interest-group>)

*Long read: *Berez-Kroeker, Andrea, et al. 2018. Reproducible Research in
linguistics: A position statement on data citation and attribution in our
field. *Linguistics* 56(1): 1-17. [OA article
<https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/ling.2018.56.issue-1/ling-2017-0032/ling-2017-0032.xml>
]

*Short read:* The Austin Principles of Data Citation in Linguistics [Website
<https://site.uit.no/linguisticsdatacitation/austinprinciples/>]