[RNLD] Training community language workers to use H1 Zoom recorders (or H1n); and how to create a simple metadata and data management log/system...

Anna Belew belew at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 1 21:34:40 EDT 2018

Hi Heather,

I have a PowerPoint on the basics of how to use recorders for youth
language workers, but it's all in French and I only have the PDF-- whoops!
Here it is anyway. I can send you translations of each slide and you can
copy/paste over the French, and I'll also see if a colleague still has the
editable PPT. The "photo of the thing with big red circles around what to
push" method seemed to work well for total tech beginners.

For input levels, going around to each group and just whispering/shouting
into the mic so they could observe what happened on the input bar got the
message across pretty quick. Another good exercise (h/t Andrea
Berez-Kroeker) was to have them listen to breathing/wind/lightbulbs with
their ears, then plug headphones into the recorder to see what they sound
like there. We also took plenty of time to practice making recordings and
discuss in groups how they'd positioned the mic, where (physically) they'd
recorded, etc. and talking about what sounded good or didn't.

Don't have anything on metadata creation since that was a bit beyond our
learning curve for this workshop, but I bet someone here will have some
good materials!

Best,
Anna