[RNLD] Indigenous Naming -- Mapping original place names from government datasets

Meladel Mistica meladel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 17:53:22 EDT 2019

Hello all,

Some of you might be interested in the Indigenous Naming meet-up that's
being run by Maptime Melbourne:
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/Maptime-Melbourne/events/263741096/

I've pasted the description of the event below.

'''
In this meetup we will be using a government dataset of indigenous place
names to edit a digital map of Australia. We will hear from people with
many years experience in mapping and indigenous affairs, before going hands
on with a digital map called OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a free, open
source and editable map of the world that serves as a data source for
Amazon, Apple Maps, Facebook, Médecins Sans Frontières, The Red Cross, Uber
and many other organisations. By adding indigenous place names to
OpenStreetMap, you give many of these platforms and others the option to
build maps that show some of the original names for locations across
Australia.
'''

Best,
Mel