[RNLD] Ideas for low-cost, eady-to-use, low-maintenance tablets/iPads to connect isolated/mobility-challenged speakers of Indigenous languages?

Heather souter hsouter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 10:25:09 EDT 2019

Taanshi, hello!

I am looking for ideas for obtaining low-cost tablets/iPads to connect our isolated last speakers of Michif (mostly rural but urban, too) each other and to youth.  Want to have “youth tech mentors” for them, so youth and Elders can each share their strengths with each other and build up community in yet another way... Could later encompass community-based documentation of language for “activities of daily living” and “language and culture in the home”?!

Anyone done anything like this?  Any tech—hard and software—ideas? Got to be able to meet people “where they are at”, build capacity and have an eye to sustainability...

Kihchi-marsii!  Thanks!

Eekoshi pitamaa.

Heather

PS: How I see myself today: Learner, speaker, activist, educator,  catalyst, tech-savy(-ish?!?)rural and  land-based Michif woman