[RNLD] Fwd: Graduate support for Indigenous Languages Sustainability research - University of Alberta

Jorge Emilio Roses Labrada jrosesla at uwo.ca
Wed Dec 4 18:50:11 EST 2019

Dear everyone,

Our department would really appreciate it if you could share this ad (below) with your students and through your networks. If you have or know of a qualified student who's considering applying for graduate studies in linguistics and is interested in work with Indigenous languages, we'd love to have them apply to our program.

Best,
Jorge
-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
jrosesla at ualberta.ca<mailto:jrosesla at ualberta.ca>
_______________________
**Apologies for cross-postings**

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta, which celebrated its 50thanniversary in 2019, offers funded MSc and PhD positions for prospective graduate students interested to learn and conduct research with our vibrant team of faculty members, graduate students, and other academics in state-of-the-art research facilities.

*The application deadline is January 10, 2019*.

In recognition of the Department’s leading position in multiple sub-areas of linguistics, the University has made significant investments in departmental support, including six new faculty members, and new and expanded research laboratories and community engagement spaces, strengthening the Department’s expertise in the study of language (see: https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics/people), in particular Indigenous languages and their sustainability, including

·      Documentation and fieldwork on languages of Canada, Mexico and the US, and the Amazon (Arppe, Beck, Lachler, Rice, Rosés Labrada)

·      The first and second language acquisition of North American Indigenous languages (Lachler)

·      Indigenous language sustainability and revitalization (Lachler, Rice, Rosés Labrada)

·      Language technology and linguistic software applications for Indigenous languages (Arppe)

·      Phonetics of Indigenous languages (Tucker)

·      Indigenous language lexicography (Beck, Lachler, Rice, Rosés Labrada)

·      Historical linguistics of the languages of the Americas (Beck, Rosés Labrada)

Our research labs include the Language Documentation Research Cluster<http://ldrc.artsrn.ualberta.ca/>, which has newly upgraded computing and audio/video recording equipment for on-site and off-site data collection and processing, and the Alberta Language Technology Lab<http://altlab.artsrn.ualberta.ca/>, which is engaged in the development of computational models and various end-user software applications and resources for several Indigenous languages spoken in North America. We also work closely with the Alberta Phonetics Lab<https://aphl.artsrn.ualberta.ca/> and have access to a number of sound-treated booths for high-quality audio recording. Additionally, our students benefit from our close ties with the Canadian Indigenous Languages and Literacy Development Institute<https://www.ualberta.ca/canadian-indigenous-languages-and-literacy-development-institute/> and regularly gain experience working as interns for CILLDI programs.

Accepted graduate students are provided four years of funding for the PhD and two years of funding for the MSc in the form of TA and RA stipends. Other support for research and conference travel, attending and hosting disciplinary events, and obtaining tools for research is also available. The Department offers cutting-edge training in statistical techniques and various research methodologies. Opportunities for within-discipline and cross-disciplinary collaboration are also available.

For more information on the Department and the graduate admissions process, please visit our departmental website at: https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics, or contact Associate Chair Graduate Johanne Paradis (linggrad at ualberta.ca<mailto:linggrad at ualberta.ca>).

The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our institution.