[RNLD] Re: Image library for language activities

John Mansfield jbmansfield at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 03:18:23 EDT 2019

Just to let you all know what I found in my search for an iPad-downloadable
image collection:

Probably the best resource people suggested with the SIL "Art of Reading"
image set. These are black-and-white line drawings of everyday objects,
plants, animals and actions. Some are rather culturally specific, but
others more general.
AoR lives here: https://bloomlibrary.org/artofreading
That link doesn't provide a folder of image files directly, but rather
installs a program that comes with a folder full of images, thousands of
them. I then picked out about 400 images that seemed well suited to my
purposes in northern Australia, and have put them up here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vlViepQQamsB_svgFSNCiHEIsCi09uUG?usp=sharing

Another interesting resource is image sets put together by research
psychologists. These include lots of "everyday objects", but then seem to
involve a lot of industrial artefacts (like ironing boards etc), which made
these less useful for me because there are no (local) words for most of
these things in Australian Indigenous languages. Anyway you can browse some
of these sets here:
https://www.cogsci.nl/stimulus-sets

Thanks to Cathy Bow, Rosey Billington, John Giacon, Simon De Deyne and
Carolyn Barker