[RNLD] Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub Wednesday the 10th April: Second dialect acquisition

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 00:44:55 UTC 2019

Announcement: Melbourne Linguistics in the Pub Second dialect acquisition

Discussion led by: Chloe Diskin (University of Melbourne)

Abstract: Research into sociolinguistics and language variation shows that
our accents are not fixed or static, and can change throughout the
lifespan. The way we speak can also shift depending on who we are speaking
to, what we are speaking about, and how we position ourselves in given
moments in interaction with others. These changes are all the more apparent
among highly mobile individuals, such as migrants, expatriates or
international students, who frequently move between cities, regions and
countries. As they move, they gain more exposure to speakers of different
languages, accents and dialects, and they also experience changes in social
mobility, friendship networks and in their personal and professional
identities. This discussion will draw on my ongoing research with Irish
migrant professionals in Australia, where I use sociophonetics to look at
accent change over time. I investigate whether some aspects of accent are
more easily acquired than others, and the role that identity and motivation
can play in both the conscious and unconscious processes behind our speech
production and perception.
Note: My own accent may vary throughout the course of our discussion :)