[RNLD] Indigenous collaboration in linguistic research or projects

Jorge Emilio Roses Labrada jrosesla at uwo.ca
Thu Sep 19 18:01:16 EDT 2019

Hi Lesley,

Two of my favourite papers are Racquel Sapién's articles about her research in Surinam:

  *   Yamada, Racquel-María. 2011. Integrating Documentation and Formal Teaching of Kari’nja: Documentary Materials as Pedagogical Materials. Language Documentation & Conservation 5. 1-30.
  *   Yamada, Racquel-Maria. 2007. Collaborative linguistic fieldwork: Practical application of the empowerment model. Language Documentation & Conservation 1(2): 257–282.

Ewa Czaykowska-Higgins's (2009) article is fantastic too (see below); more of a position paper (perhaps) than a case study but some of Ewa's other work, especially in relation to her collaboration with communities in British Columbia.

  *   Czaykowska-Higgins, Ewa. 2009. Research Models, Community Engagement, and Linguistic Fieldwork: Reflections on Working within Canadian Indigenous Communities. Language Documentation & Conservation 3(1):15-50

Best,
Jorge
PS: Thank you to everyone who has responded; so many interesting articles from the Australian context that I wasn't familiar with!
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
jrosesla at ualberta.ca<mailto:jrosesla at ualberta.ca>

The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our institution.