[RNLD] Melbourne Linguistics in the pub Wednesday 30th October: Engaging with young people in linguistic research and documentation

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 21:00:00 EDT 2019

October 2019 LIP

*Engaging with young people in linguistic research and documentation*
Discussion led by: Debbie Loakes, The University of Melbourne, ARC Centre
of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

Engaging with young people for linguistic documentation or research can
seem daunting without prior experience. I am a phonetician who has worked
with young people in various ways, primarily in outreach-based activities
in Mildura and Warrnambool. Some examples are the organisation of NAIDOC
week events with language as the central theme, engaging young people in a
larger language documentation project via their school, and including young
people’s voices in an app designed for community use. I often team up with
other linguists when doing this work, and sometimes a lot of careful
planning is required, whilst in other cases the projects just come about
almost spontaneously.

I will reflect on what has worked well for me when working with young
people, and what I would do differently in future. In the lead up to
preparing for this talk, I also conducted an informal survey with a number
of researchers from around the world who regularly engage with young people
in this way. I asked them for their advice on what to do and what not to
do, and received numerous responses, especially relating to research and
documentation outcomes, as well as advice surrounding school and technology
in particular. As well as discussing my own experiences, I review some of
the exciting research and documentation work that has been produced with
the help of young people in various communities around the world. I then
discuss the “advice list” compiled from researcher suggestions, and also
consider the crucial role of cultural context. Finally, I will provide a
list of resources, as well as the newly compiled advice list, so that
researchers hoping to engage with young people have a good starting point
before they begin.