[RNLD] Indigenous language programs in prisons

Alissa Stern alissa at basabali.org
Thu Mar 19 12:09:53 EDT 2020

I was happily surprised to receive a request from a librarian from  ICE (US
Immigration and Custom Enforcement) who was looking for Balinese language
and other local language materials for immigration detainees.

The local Balinese community here in Washington DC sprung into action and
within an hour, mobilized materials for the Indonesian Embassy to bring to
the librarian for the detainees.
The librarian underscored how important he thought it was for detainees to
have materials in their own language.

Best wishes for safety and good health.

Alissa Stern
Founder