[RNLD] Language work at a distance

Brenda Boerger brenda_boerger at sil.org
Mon May 4 10:41:57 EDT 2020

Hi John,

We have the same question. And to address it, this (N. hemisphere) summer
in my language documentation course I’m inviting the students to explore
possible solutions.

We meet at 11:15am Central time, in the USA via Zoom. So I’m wondering if
you’d like to be in on the follow up discussion of their final
projects—which is to collect and annotate a tiny corpus which they propose.
The project debrief is scheduled for 3 August.

I’m hoping a result could be a “best practice” article about doing remote
lang doc fieldwork, with sections on issue like: inadequate equipment,
inadequate training, …only video sessions, etc. assuming no one else does
it first. And I’d like the students to be co-authors on the paper if/when
it happens.

~Brenda

Brenda H. Boerger, PhD
Language and Culture Documentation Consultant

SIL International
7500 West Camp Wisdom Road
Dallas, TX 75236      USA

Mobile: 972-273-9356
Skype ID:  brenda_boerger1
https://pikecenter.org/fellows
https://www.diu.edu/faculty/brenda-boerger/

Working on archiving Natqgu materials and returning them to the community,
so that it can be said of me,

John 13:1 *“Having loved his (her) own who were in the world, (s)he loved
them to the end.**”*