[RNLD] Publications - Personal naming practices in Indigenous groups in Australia

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Thu May 14 05:50:33 EDT 2020

Dear Lesley

I'm not sure what your reference is to Austin 1978 (my PhD thesis?) but
there is a brief discussion of the various patterns of naming in the
Mantharta languages of Western Australia in Section 1.8.4 of my incomplete
"A Grammar of the Mantharta Languages, Western Australia". The 2015 version
is available on Academia (
https://www.academia.edu/15938656/A_Grammar_of_the_Mantharta_Languages_Western_Australia).
You see that people are addressed and referred to in a range of ways,
including kinship terms, totemic classes, totems, and various kinds of
place names (paternal, maternal, own -- there are suffixes used in
constructing these) and personal names (it is taboo for one to utter one's
own personal name). I briefly mention adaptation to European naming
conventions by taking one of these, e.g. patrilineal class totem as a
family name. If you want more details than what is in that document
please let me know.

For Diyari, I wrote a blog post on 13 June 2010 about English language
naming practices over seven generations:
https://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/2010/06/contemporary-aboriginal-naming-practices/
(see
also the comments).

I hope this is of some use. Best wishes with your research,
Peter

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Humboldt Researcher, Frankfurt University (Nov 2019, Jan-March 2020)

Department of Linguistics, SOAS
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG
United Kingdom