Name for the Western Rgyalrong languages

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 18 12:01:27 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Lhundrop, however, doesn't like this term, because it actually
> designates a very specific area, namely the third 区 of the County of
> Brag-mgo. (However, I couldn't find which townships correspond to the
> third 区.) Furthermore, according to Lhundrop, the language spoken in
> this specific area is Kham Tibetan. So it would be even less
> appropriate than Rtau, because at least many people in Rtau county
> speak Rtau.

I may be mistaken here, but according to the bod rgya tshigmdzod chenmo,
Tre.hor is defined as "Khams byang rgyud Rong.pa.tsha nas Rta'u bar gyi
yul" "The area between Rtau and Rongpatsha in northern Khams", which is
obviously larger than a sub-district of Brag.mgo. Maybe what Lhundrop
refers to is Tre.bo. I believe that Tre Hor is the abbreviation of Tre.bo
and Hor.pa.

Tre.Hor certainly includes areas where Khams Tibetan is spoken, and I fully
agree that this term is not perfect. Let us take time to evaluate all
possibilities.

Concerning "Yar sgo", does this name actually exist in your language and
how is it pronunced? Could the spelling rather be something like "Yar
sgang" (just a guess)?

Guillaume

--
Guillaume Jacques