[Rgyalrong] Minyagic

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 19:11:55 UTC 2016

In Japhug, labial harmony of ɯ and ɤ is pervasive before u and o (but in my
transcriptions I represent the underlying non-harmonized form, thus ɣɤʑu
instead of [ɣoʑu], as vowel harmony is not obligatory). /ɤ/ also harmonizes
with /a/ in closed-syllable verbs in ɤC followed by the 1SG suffix -a (mtɤm
> mtam-a); in other contexts we have no vowel harmony (and minimal pairs
like tɤ-ma "mother (honorific)" vs ta-ma "work".
I wonder what we have in other Rgyalrongic languages -- list members are
encouraged to present examples from the languages they work on.

Guillaume