RST analysis practice and study....

John Bateman bateman at UNI-BREMEN.DE
Tue Dec 12 11:04:39 UTC 2000

I am using the attached text in a paper I am currently writing and, after some
revisions in my analysis, wondered what kind of analyses the rest of the world would come up with.
So I attach the text below. The context is  a webpage giving information about an
antique piece of furniture. This is from the Getty museum website. The text fills the lower part
of the page; top left is a small picture of the table, with details of date, maker, etc. in list
form alongside the picture. There are no in-text links.

All analyses gratefully received. I will summarise results to the list if I get any!

Best,
John Bateman.

This table's unusual materials and coloring allow scholars to
link it to a written source and a particular building. The
posthumous inventory of the French king Louis XIV's
possessions in 1720 describes the table in considerable detail.
Although the inventory gives neither the name of the maker
nor its original location, the table probably came from the
Trianon de Porcelaine, a small house built for the King's
mistress, Madame de Montespan, on the grounds of the Palace
of Versailles. This table's marquetry of ivory and horn, painted
blue underneath, would have followed the house's blue-and-
white color scheme, imitating blue-and-white Chinese
porcelain, a fashionable and highly prized material. Blue-and-
white ceramic tiles decorated the house, and some of the
furniture was also painted blue-and-white.

The table's top may be raised to form an angled reading or
writing stand, while a drawer at the side is fitted for writing
equipment.

John Bateman
FB10, Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften
Universität Bremen
28334 Bremen, Germany.

Tel: +49/421-218-9483
Fax: +49/421-218-4283 (or 218-7801)