Relations that are seldom or never signaled

John Bateman bateman at UNI-BREMEN.DE
Tue Jan 11 17:25:52 UTC 2000

> My feeling is
> that there are only a couple of relations that are never signallable by
> connectives: one is ELABORATION (or rather, the subtype of elaboration
> called OBJECT-ATTRIBUTE ELABORATION), and the other is BACKGROUND. [I'd
> be interested in other RST analysts' opinions on this, though.]

How about:

(1)	Look, you'll just have to go with him to the store.
(2)     Since his foot is broken, he can't go by himself.

Background? (2a,2b) with 2b as nucleus.

(and how to distinguish between Background, Justify, and Evidence
here....)

--
John Bateman
FB10, Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften

Tel: +49/421-218-9483
Fax: +49/421-218-4283 (or 218-7801)
http://www.uni-bremen.de/~bateman