Relations that are seldom or never signale

Bill Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Fri Jan 14 17:34:18 UTC 2000

responding to Maite Taboada:

Your data on English and Spanish are very interesting.  The numbers are, to me,
surprisingly high.  Perhaps that has something to do with the oral/written
differences.  In oral interaction, a conjunction will "hold the floor open."

But the numbers are all under 50%.  So the question is ripe: How do people cope
with finding coherence when so much is unsignaled?

I know of a number of partial answers, but so far in my estimation, the partial
answers do not add up to a whole answer.

Thanks for your message.

Bill Mann