Northern Arizona U : academic program notice -- forwarded

William Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 7 19:06:47 UTC 2000

The notice below is forwarded in behalf of the signer.  Interested persons
should
communicate directly with her.

I am writing to encourage you to tell your students about the English
M.A. with a Rhetoric Emphasis--Writing, Discourse, and  Community at
Northern Arizona University. Situated in a Ponderosa pine forest,
NAU is a wonderful place for students who want rigorous rhetorical
training in a beautiful atmosphere. It is a particularly good location
for those who like hiking, running, mountain biking, and climbing.

Our program is flexible and

      prepares students for research, theory, and practical experiences

      provides them with a solid understanding of how written and oral
      discourse function within various communities

      trains students for positions as teachers, professional writers,
      enter doctoral programs in rhetoric and composition, or related
      fields

      offers students practical experiences in work settings such as
      schools, agencies, and businesses

We offer courses in Composition Theory (Eng 511), History of Composition
Studies (Eng 512), Classical Rhetoric (Eng 611), and Modern Rhetorical
Theory (Eng 631). We also provide courses in professional and technical
writing, cultural studies, visual communication, and studies in
ethnicity and race.

 Students who graduated from NAU's M.A. in English with a Rhetoric
Emphasis have been
accepted to Ph.D. programs (100 percent placement success)  in schools
such as

     Purdue University,
     University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign,
     Syracuse University,
     University of Arizona,
     Arizona State University,
     Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.

Other students have opted for careers in

     Consulting
     Teaching
     Public Relations
     Publishing
     Curriculum Design
     Technical Writing
     Magazine and Newspaper Editors

I hope you will send interested students our way. I would be very happy
to discuss options with any such students.

Best wishes,

Laura
Dr. Laura Gray-Rosendale
Northern Arizona University