everyone's analyses

William Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Mon Apr 2 19:45:07 UTC 2001

Dear folks:

Thanks for all of your encouragement.  There are now 6 analyses out there on

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~billmann/rstbook.htm

and several more will appear soon.

Some details:

How Many?:    I have no hard limit on how many analyses can be posted.  With
available effort, I am going to be sure that one or two from an individual
get posted for everyone before I post more than two for people who send
more.  Some folks are offering up to 12 analyses each, which is fine.  We'll
see how it goes.

The Justify Relation:   Several folks are struggling with it.  I'll send a
separate message about it.  It has to do with the writer's authority more
than with evidence.

Fuzzy Images:   On the general RST website:
http://www.sil.org/linguistics/RST

there are comments about the images.  They are about as clear as I can make
them, but if there are any that are really illegible, and you have the RST
tool already in hand, download them and put them into it.

Relation Sets:  The one that corresponds to the general RST website relation
list (in [tools]) is ExtMT.rel (for Extended Mann and Thompson relations)
for English, and the French and Spanish files correspond to that one.

The Restatement Relation:  There really are texts where it makes sense to
have a nucleus and satellite linked by Restatement, and often it does not
make sense, but multiple nuclei would make sense.  So Restatement is the
only one defined both ways (using a relation named Restatement-mn.)

I look forward to receiving more analyses and comments.

 William C. Mann
SIL in USA
6739 Cross Creek Estates Road
Lancaster, SC 29720