Open Postings of RST Analyses : things are changing

William Mann bill_mann at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 6 20:20:40 UTC 2001

Dear RST list folks:

The experiment with postings of everyone's RST analyses is ongoing, but it
is not turning out as I had expected.  So, I am making some changes.

The central issue is getting value out of the postings.  The principal value
of the postings, over and above sharing analyses with known persons, was
expected to come from comments on the analyses from RST users around the
world.

Analyses are coming in, but comments are not.  So changes are needed in
order to be able to elicit thoughtful evaluations of analyses, responses to
the uncertainties experienced, and so forth.

Most, perhaps all but 1, of those who have sent analyses have been from one
class at the Free University of Amsterdam.  I plan to contact all
submitters.

For any analyses already received, at least one analysis from each sender
will be posted. (There are 10 on the website now, and about 5 additional
ones will appear soon.)

All new analyses will be held. Depending on how the new arrangement
develops, some analyses in hand may not get posted.

I am hoping that with reconsideration, a comparable offer can be made in
time for the fall semester.

Anyone planning to teach RST in the fall should contact me.

My best wishes to you all.

Bill Mann

 William C. Mann
SIL in USA