[RSTLIST] antithesis or contrast

Manfred Stede stede at LING.UNI-POTSDAM.DE
Tue Mar 5 13:39:17 UTC 2002

Hi,

we've worked with newspaper commentaries for a while, and resolved the
antithesis/contrast question -- for this particular genre, at least --
to the effect that contrast is more or less ruled out. Reason: whenever
these things appear in a context, one of the spans is going to be the
more important one, the positively regarded one, or the one that's going
to be further elaborated. Hence, we need to assign nuclearity to one of
the spans, and hence we have antitheses all over the place. Seems to me
you have a similar situation in your example. Judging from the English
translation, how about an antithesis between 2 and 3, 4 consequence of
3, and the whole 2-4 elaborating 1?

(also, I have some principal doubts about the status of CONTRAST as a
rhetorical relation, but that's a different story..)

regards,
Manfred Stede