Descriptive versus Explanatory

Andy Potter anpotter at HIWAAY.NET
Wed Aug 10 03:31:15 UTC 2005

Several years ago in this list Bill Mann wrote:

"RST is defined in a way that makes it a descriptive approach rather than an
explanatory approach. While RST helps in identifying things that go on in
coherent monologue text, it does not say how or why they occur."

(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011&L=RSTLIST&P=R36&I=-3
)

I am using RST as a means for exploring the nature and extent of coherence
of a type of document (a type of document problematic for RST, but that is a
separate discussion), and I find I can perform the analyses and these
invariably lead to useful insights.  However, reaching these insights is,
thus far, ad hoc, and thus, for dissertation research, a scary thing.

It might be fun to think about what an explanatory approach would look like.

Short of that, if you have any wisdom, suggestions, citations, or
methodological hints
you would care to share, I would love to hear from you.

 Andy