Descriptive versus Explanatory

Andy Potter anpotter at HIWAAY.NET
Thu Aug 11 04:22:35 UTC 2005

Gisela,

Thank you for your suggestions.  I am a slow thinker will need to ponder
them a bit.  Months ago when I read your article on fund-raising letters my
motivation had more to do with learning RST than with understanding what to
use it for!  I will revisit it with new set of eyes.

I did not mean to sound mysterious about the research I am doing, but was
concerned not to derail my question with a digression.  Maybe a short
excursion would give the problem better context (besides it is my favorite
subject:).

My topic is interactional coherence in asynchronous learning environments.
Several researchers have observed that in these types of environments (and
in asynchronous CMC in general) there is a tendency for discussions to
become incoherent in a variety of ways.  They have a tendency to drift from
one topic to another, without returning to key points or questions raised
earlier in the discussion. A discussion may split into numerous threads,
with no prospect for eventual convergence. Participants frequently ignore
the contributions of others, so that the resulting transcript reads more
like a collection of monologues than a discussion.

A variety of approaches have been proposed for investigating these issues,
based on content analysis, conversation analysis, a number of types of
response diagrams, and various statistical approaches.  None of these
approaches, it seems to me, begins to tell us what it is about the way
people use language in these environments, or what it is about these
environments that make people use language in a way that leads to these
forms of incoherence.  They do not attempt to talk in a clear way about what
coherence is, and only a few talk about what interaction is.  In an earlier
article I tried to discuss some of the issues in terms of classical
rhetoric, and although the research was interesting, it did not really get
to the point.

So I was delighted earlier this year to discover coherence relations in
general and RST in particular. Although RST is only a partial account of
coherence, it does what it does in a direct manner.  And although RST was
not developed to address asynchronous discussions, it seems to me quite
applicable.  For one thing, I would urge anyone with an interest in this
area to take a look at Maite's new book, where she analyzes task oriented
dialogue using the classic RST relation set.  And although asynchronous
discussions seem to carry some characteristics of spoken conversation, they
also share characteristics with planned written texts.  Further, although I
do not yet have access to the corpuses I will be using for the dissertation
research, I have done a number of preliminary analyses, and while it seems
that some special considerations may be in order,  the discussions do seem
analyzable.

Interesting among the special considerations, it seems to me helpful to
analyze the discussions incrementally. That is, as each message is added to
the discussion, it is useful to evaluate the way it back-propagates through
the earlier discussion. With mutiple participants, the intent alters from
message to message; for example, a question that may have implied an
evaluation of an earlier remark now becomes a satellite in a solutionhood
relation. So the analysis of a discussion consists of a series of RST
analyses, and these analyses reflect the dynamic of the discussion.

The research questions I am interested  in have to do with the appicability
of RST to asynchronous discussion, the use of argumentative structures in
these discussions, the structural patterns of topic drift, and comparative
effects of two different conferencing software products. I will be using one
set of discussions generated using WebCT and another using Allaire Forums.
The coursework, institution, and hopefully instructor will be the same.

What prompted me to send my question to RST-LIST was that I am concerned
about bridging the gap between the results of an RST analysis and the kinds
of questions I want to address.  For argumentative structures, it seems
quite possible to identify specific relations as argumentive, to count the
use of these relations, and then say something interesting about them. And
my preliminary work suggests that topic drift will have a rather peculiar
looking pattern in an RST diagram.

Maybe I am simply falling into the classic trap of trying to overreach my
findings.  If in fact I analyze a number of examples of topic drift and
contrast these diagrams to discussions that stay on topic, I will able to
say, yes, here is what the one looks like, and there is what the other looks
like, and we can all see the difference.  We may all nod our heads and say
well yes there is a difference--but did we need RST to tell us that?  What
do we know now that we did not know before?

In a separate email from David Weber, and I hope he does not mind me
mentioning this here, he compared the clauses on which an RST analysis is
based to the tip of an iceberg.  I think I am going to have a freezer full
of iceberg tips, carefully bound and labeled!

Please don't get me wrong. I really enjoy and am committed to RST, and I
find it gratifying to use RST to probe and nudge a text to see what sort of
perspective it will yield (Sometime just for fun try analyzing Jabberwocky).
I am just having trouble deciding what the next step is... a giant step or a
lot of little baby steps.  Your suggestions seem to indicate that perhaps I
need push my analyses a little harder to get them to tell me more about what
they know, and to keep me from supposing that I know more than I really do.
I am sure I would not be the first doctoral student to discover a disconnect
between my research questions and my analysis.

Regards,
 Andy

In the interests of readability, I have not wanted to clutter my email with
citations, but if I had, they would have been to at least the following
references:

Abelen, E., Redeker, G., & Thompson, S. (1993). The rhetorical structure of
US-American and Dutch fund-raising letters. Text, 3, 323-350.

Azar, M. (1999). Argumentative text as rhetorical structure: An application
of rhetorical structure theory. Argumentation, 13(1), 97-114.

Clark, H. H., & Brennan, S. E. (1991). Grounding in communication. In L. B.
Resnick, J. M. Levine & S. D. Teasley (Eds.), Perspectives on socially
shared cognition (pp. 127--149). Washington: APA Books.

Henri, F. (1995). Distance learning and computer-mediated communication:
Interactive, quasi-interactive, or monologue? In C. O'Malley (Ed.), Computer
Supported Collaborative Learning (pp. 145-161). Berlin: Springer-Verlag.

Herring, S. C. (1999, June). Interactional coherence in CMC. Journal of
Computer-Mediated Communication, 4, 4. Retrieved January 9, 2004, from
http://www.ascusc.org/jcmc/vol4/issue4/herring.html

Hew, K. F., & Cheung, W. S. (2003a). Evaluating the participation and
quality of thinking of pre-service teachers in an asynchronous online
discussion environment: Part I. International Journal of Instructional
Media, 30(3), 247-262.

Hew, K. F., & Cheung, W. S. (2003b). Evaluating the participation and
quality of thinking of pre-service teachers in an asynchronous online
discussion environment: Part II. International Journal of Instructional
Media, 30(4), 355-366.

Hewitt, J. (2001). Beyond threaded discourse. International Journal of
Educational Telecommunications, 7(3), 207-221.

Hiltz, S. R., & Turoff, M. (1985). Structuring computer-mediated
communication systems to avoid information overload. Communications of the
ACM, 28(7), 680-689.

Hobbs, J. R. (1990). Topic drift. In B. Dorval (Ed.), Conversational
Organization and Its Development (pp. 3-22). Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing.

Jeong, A. C. (2004). The combined effects of response time and message
content on growth patterns of discussion threads in computer-supported
collaborative argumentation. Journal of Distance Education, 19(1), 36-53.

Mann, W. C., & Thompson, S. A. (1988). Rhetorical structure theory: A theory
of text organization. In L. Polanyi (Ed.), The Structure of Discourse:
Ablex.

Pena-Shaff, J. B., & Nicholls, C. (2004). Analyzing student interactions and
meaning construction in computer bulletin board discussions. Computers &
Education, 42(3), 243-265.

Potter, A. (2004). Interactive rhetoric for online learning environments.
The Internet and Higher Education, 7(3), 183-198.

Reed, D. (2001, January 3-6, 2001). 'Making conversation': Sequential
integrity and the local management of interaction on Internet newsgroups.
Paper presented at the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System
Sciences ( HICSS-34), Maui, Hawaii.

Severinson Eklundh, K., & Macdonald, C. (1994). The use of quoting to
preserve context in electronic mail dialogues. IEEE Transactions of
Professional Communication, 37(4), 197-202.

Siegel, M. A., Ellis, S. E., & Lewis, M. B. (2004, January 05 - 08).
Designing for deep conversation in a scenarios-based e-learning environment.
Paper presented at the 37th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System
Sciences (HICSS'04), Big Island, Hawaii.

Taboada, M. T. (2004). Building coherence and cohesion: Task-oriented
dialogue in English and Spanish. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.

van der Meij, H., de Vries, B., Boersma, K., Pieters, J., & Wegerif, R.
(2005). An examination of interactional coherence in email use in elementary
school. Computers in Human Behavior, 21(3), 417-439.

Yates, S. J. (1996). Oral and written linguistic aspects of computer
conferencing: a corpus-based study. In S. C. Herring (Ed.),
Computer-mediated Communication: Linguistic, Social and Cross-cultural
Perspectives (pp. 29-46). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.