Help - Concession

Le Thanh Huong lehuong_hn at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 17 15:17:47 UTC 2005

Dear list members,
Could I get some advice from you in the problem below?
We’re generating texts with CONCESSION and trying to assign
markers.  Looking back at the M&T articles, I see that they are
inconsistent in their assignment.  For example:
 “But” is assigned to:
Nucleus: example in Fig 4, pg 14 of M&T (‘87a), a concession
between 5 and (6-7):
5. Every rule has exceptions,
6. but the tragic and too-common tableaux of hundreds or even
thousands of people snake-lining up for any task with a paycheck
illustrates a lack of jobs,
7. not laziness.
Satellite: example in Fig 4. pg 5 of M&T (’87b):
2. Faculty members remain Senate members after retirement,
3. But no systemwide Senate committee represents emeriti at the
present time.

“Although” is assigned to:
Nucleus: example in Fig 6, pg 16 of M&T(‘87a):
17. Although Jim likes tennis, Chinese food, and travel to exotic
locates among his favourite hobbies,
18. one can’t help but wonder at the unmentioned interests that
help spark Jim’s creativity, leading him to concoct an unending
stream of imaginative programs.
Satellite: example in Fig 5, pg 15 of M&T(‘87a):
2. Although it is toxic to certain animals,
3. evidence is lacking that it has any serious long-term effect on
human beings.

Many thanks,
Huong Le-Thanh