Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Maite Taboada mtaboada at SFU.CA
Wed Oct 11 17:54:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Just a follow-up to the Conjunction/Disjunction thread. As I mentioned a
while back, I'll post the definitions of these relations and examples on
the site. I just wanted to make sure we are all thinking along the lines
below. As discussed, I've left out any mention of exclusive/inclusive
disjunction, and of lexical cues.

Definitions come via Gisela Redeker, taken from a previous version of the
RST site. Examples are from Jelisaveta Safranj and from my own corpus
(epinions.com reviews).

----------------------------------
Conjunction
Constraints on each pair of N: The items are conjoined to form a unit in
which each item plays a comparable role
Intention of W: R recognizes that the linked items are conjoined

Examples:
- [This didn't make me like the story any less] [nor did I find it hard to
follow]
- [Disney provides great access to transportation] and [every cast member
is ready to provide detailed directions and tips for getting to your
desired destination quickly.]

Disjunction:
Constraints on each pair of N: An item presents a (not necessarily
exclusive) alternative for the other(s)
Intention of W: R recognizes that the linked items are alternatives

Examples:
- [Call it a fad.] [Or call it the wave of the future.]
- In the aerobic phase, for instance, lactic acid and lactate are still
produced, [but they are consumed by less active muscles] [or metabolized in
the liver] and so do not accumulate
- [Will Peter ever get out], [or will he die in the tower?]

----------------------------------

It looks like we only have examples of exclusive disjunction. Following RST
tradition, I'd like to have only attested examples (i.e., not made up).

If you think the definitions or examples are not accurate, or you have
something else to add, please reply. Otherwise, I'll post these on the RST
site soon.

Thanks,
- Maite

_____