Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Ben & Mandy Pehrson ben-mandy_pehrson at SIL.ORG
Thu Oct 12 05:59:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm sorry I have been silent in this discussion after I brought up the
exclusive/inclusive distinction. I'm not going to be able to give much time
to this, but I thought I'd at least chip in with my agreement concerning the
distinction in RST between relation definitions and formal realizations. But
the same thing could be said to argue that RST should have two different
relation definitions for two different relations that happen to be expressed
with the same form in some languages. To me, the difference between
exclusive disjunction and inclusive disjunction seems like a fairly
significant distinction. However, if we do want to group similar relations
under one definition, I think the proposed definition with the part about
"not necessarily exclusive" in parentheses does a good job of allowing for
inclusive and exclusive disjunction.

I appreciate the example given that reflects exclusive disjunction at one
level and inclusive disjunction at another:

> (1) A: What d'ya wanna do tonight?

>     B: We could go to the movies or have a quiet evening home.

I'm sorry I am not able to answer how any languages that differentiate
between inclusive and exclusive disjunction would mark this. I suspect that
if a language doesn't have a form that can be used ambiguously for inclusive
or exclusive 'or' it would not be able to encode such a double meaning. The
reply would either use the inclusive 'or' to express the multiple desires
that the person has, or the reply would use the exclusive 'or' to express
the mutually exclusive possibilities.

By the way, the only source I was thinking of concerning a language with
different forms for exclusive and inclusive 'or' was taken from an article
by Ettien Koffi concerning the translation of 'or' in African languages. He
writes, "Ditammari a language of northern Benin, has three or-type
coordinators; ke and yaa are used only for exclusive coordination, while yoo
is used to link inclusively."

Ben