Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Mick O'Donnell micko at WAGSOFT.COM
Tue Sep 12 10:22:26 UTC 2006

Hi Chris, Jelisaveta,

   The original document describing was RST:

William C. Mann and Sandra A. Thompson 1987 "Rhetorical Structure
Theory: A Theory of Text Organization". ISI Technical Report ISI/RS-87-190.
(available from: http://www.sfu.ca/rst/05bibliographies/report.html)

It mentions disjunction under multinuclear relations (p73). However,
from a quick look, I don't think any details are given of this
relation.

Conjunction is not mentioned.
However, there is a Joint relation (p76), which I think is too weak
for conjunction: Joint asserts no relation between nuclei, while
Conjunction should assert some relation amongst the nuclei.

Note however that Bill Mann did add Conjunction
to the relation sets for both classical and extended RST.

Mick