Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Gisela Redeker g.redeker at RUG.NL
Tue Sep 12 17:20:14 UTC 2006

I have been using the following definitions, which I am pretty sure I
got from Bill Mann's page in 2003:

*Relation *

*Constraints on each pair of N *

*Intention of W *

Conjunction

The items are conjoined to form a unit in which each item plays a
comparable role

R recognizes that the linked items are conjoined

Disjunction

An item presents a (not necessarily exclusive) alternative for the other(s)

R recognizes that the linked items are alternatives

What I like about these definitions is their flexibility: I distinguish
subject matter and presentational uses (for these and for the
multi-nuclear relations of LIST and SEQUENCE).

I've only now discovered that the current list of definitions on the RST
site no longer includes these -- does anyone know why?

Best regards,
Gisela

Gisela Redeker, Professor
Department of Communication and Information Sciences
Faculty of Arts, University of Groningen
P.O.Box 716, NL-9700 AS Groningen
g.redeker at rug.nl tel: +31-50-3635973 fax: +31-50-3636855
http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker