Definitions of Conjunction and Disjunction

Gisela Redeker g.redeker at RUG.NL
Fri Sep 15 10:32:07 UTC 2006

Hi Ben,

I see your point, but I think it gets tricky with presentational
disjunctions ("speech act" relations in Sweetser's (1990) terms) as in B's
answer in (1):

(1) A: What d'ya wanna do tonight?
    B: We could go to the movies or have a quiet evening home.

Here the semantic alternatives ('we could do X' OR 'we could do Y'), and
thus the choices offered to A, are mutually exclusive, while B is at the
same time saying that both options are things she might want to do tonight
('I'd like doing this AND I'd like doing that'). -- How would cases like
this be marked in the languages you are thinking of?

Another problem I see with your argument is that RST has (wisely, I think)
stayed away from linking the relation definitions directly to linguistic
realization ('cues', cohesive signals). Like all coordinating conjunctions
(see, e.g. Schiffrin 1987, Redeker 1991), 'or' (in English) has a wide range
to uses and thus does not differentiate between relations that are very
clearly different on other grounds. An example where 'or' means neither
inclusive nor exclusive disjunction are corrective uses like the
afterthought in (2) and the speech act conditional in (3):

(2) We could go to the movies... Or let's just have a quiet evening home.

(3) We could go to the movies tonight - or do you have to work late again?

The relation signalled with 'or' in (2) should probably be analyzed as
ANTITHESIS, and in (3) as UNLESS -- both relations that no one would suggest
lumping together with disjunction.
  I don't think the relation DISJUNCTION is or should be defined by the
occurrence or 'or' (or its equivalents in other languages). On the other
hand (as e.g. Knott and Sanders (1998) have argued for linguistic markers of
coherence relations in general) it is presumably no coincidence that many
languages use the same means (conjunction, cue) for marking inclusive and
exclusion disjunctions. As Ben sys in his post, the two are very similar and
speakers may sometimes want to remain vague and not mark the distinction.

Gisela