coherence relations between large spans of text

Michael O'Donnell micko at WAGSOFT.COM
Sun Apr 12 09:23:30 UTC 2009

Hi Anna,

 My personal belief is that it is a mistake to  try to structure
entire texts just  in terms of coherence relations (or rhetorical
relations), except for smaller texts.

Larger texts often also reflect a degree of top-down schematic structure,
e.g., for an essay, we have the overly simplistic introduction^body^conclusions,
(with different schemas proposed for the introduction at least). For stories,
Labov proposed a schema consisting of:

            Orientation^Complication^Resolution(^Coda)

In this approach, there is no one nucleus to which other elements
are optional satellites. Rather, we have a multi-nuclear structure, where each
structural component has its part ot play in the whole.

RST includes multi-nuclear relations, although they are generally
more generic (e.g., sequence, joint, etc.)

Mick