An RST analysis

Andrew Potter anpotter at HIWAAY.NET
Sun Mar 1 01:47:35 UTC 2009

Thanks Gisela,

My analysis was similar to yours, although I tilted heavily toward a causal interpretation.  Between your interpretation and Linda's edits, it seems clear that the text as written could use some attention.

I am exploring the possibility of incorporating RST structures within controlled natural language texts, with the idea that the resulting structures could be used to access and reason about the texts in interesting ways.  So I want to create some examples that can be parsed by a CNL parser, and that would help motivate my exploration.  I still have a bit of work to do.

Regards,
Andrew
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gisela Redeker
  To: 'Andrew Potter'
  Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 12:13 PM
  Subject: RE: [RST-LIST] An RST analysis

  Dear Andrew,

  I've taken a shot at it, leaving out any causal or telic interpretations and taking the tecxt as purely descriptive of a sequence of events. This would of course depend crucially on the text genre / use. If it is uttered or written as a narrative or to explain why the users got angry, I'd do a very different analysis.

  Linda's input does make the plausible causal relations explicit and would once again prompt me to consider a different analysis, as her text does suggest a different purpose.

  I attach an rs3 file. Suppose you will post some results on the list in due course.

  Best wishes,

  Gisela

  Gisela Redeker, Professor of Communication Studies

  Department of Communication and Information Sciences

  University of Groningen

  P.O. Box 716, NL-9700 AS Groningen, The Netherlands

  g.redeker at rug.nl tel: +31-50-3635973 fax: +31-50-3636855

  http://www.let.rug.nl/~redeker