[Rstlist] Restatement and Summary

Potter, Andrew Nelson apotter1 at una.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:34:27 EDT 2017

On the RST Web site, the Restatement and Summary relations are identified as Presentational relations.  In earlier Mann and Thompson (1988), they are identified as Subject Matter Relations.  Having given this some thought, I can see how a case could be made for this, i.e. that the reader's ability to comprehend the nucleus is increased.  But I have some concerns about that interpretation.  I wonder if anyone recalls previous discussion of this, and if so, what the upshot may have been.

Thanks for any thoughts!

  Andrew

Andrew Potter, PhD
Assistant Professor
Computer Science and Information Systems
University of North Alabama