[Rstlist] Preparation, Restatement, and Summary

Potter, Andrew Nelson apotter1 at una.edu
Tue Feb 13 19:56:41 EST 2018

Further thoughts…
It does seem clear these relations do not belong in the Subject Matter class.  It would appear that part of the problem is that the stated definitions leave them with a poor fit for the Presentational class.  The definitions assigned to Restatement and Summary as Presentational relations are identical to their earlier definitions as Subject Matter relations.  they’ve simply been moved from one table to the other.  We could adjust their definitions to more closely align with that of the Background relation, but as you point out, they are applied in diverse ways, not all of which are presentational.  Of concern to me is that there are two sides to this: the judgement of the RST analyst in deciding when to use these relations, and another in determining how to interpret these analyses.
Another thing to consider is that if Restatement is Presentational, what does that tell us about multinuclear Restatement?  Again, as with the mono-nuclear relations, the issue of bulk is deemed relevant (a re-expression by the linked items), but if it can also serve to increase or secure comprehension, then there is the possibility that it too should be considered Presentational.  That seems kind of interesting.
  Andrew