LOOKING FOR TRANSLATIONS FROM ENGLISH TO TETUN (BASIC)

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE
Sat Apr 1 14:49:18 UTC 2000

> AND ANY OTHER WORDS YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD :) IF YOU KNOW OF A WEBSITE WHERE
> I CAN FIND THIS INFORMATION IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. (IN ORDER TO
> REFERENCE IT)

Geoffrey Hull's "The Languages of East Timor: Some Basic Facts" at
http://edweb.macarthur.uws.edu.au/easttimor/langs.htm lists the
numerals 1,2,3,... ,10 in languages spoken in East Timor, including
of course for Tetum:

   ida, rua, tolu, haat, lima, neen, hitu, ualu, sia, sanulu

Jeniffer Runner's Language page at http://www.elite.net/~runner/jennifers/
has expressions for "Hello", "Good morning", "Good afternoon", "Good
evening/night",
"How are you", "Welcome", "Goodbye", "What is your name?", "My name is...",
"Please", "Thank you", "I don't understand", "Do you speak English?",
"Yes", "No"
in 150 till 540 languages, with Tetum represented in all the lists
(sometimes with
alternative expressions for informal/formal style).

Om the East Timor Resources page at
              http://motherjones.com/east_timor/reference/resources.html
there's a link to "Basic Tetum: Some basic Tetum words and sentences" at
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/9627/basictetum.html , but Yahoo/Geocities
(provider) says 'We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for
viewing'. Maybe you have better luck at some later time.

That's all I have at the moment, hope it's any use for you.

Aloha,   Waruno

Waruno Mahdi                  tel:   +49 30 8413-5411
Faradayweg 4-6                fax:   +49 30 8413-3155
14195 Berlin                  email: mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Germany                       WWW:   http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/~wm/