info needed on Thai syntax

Christopher Court court at hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 29 10:09:54 UTC 2000

dear kem

i presume you mean things like

	I gave John a book

which are said to have two objects--John (indirect), and  a book
(direct), where thai has the two objects in the reverse order to
english. is that correct?

also, what do you mean by "research", as opposed to "description"? and by
"up to date" do you mean "theoretically" up to date? --because i imagine
"intersentence relations in thai", and "a thai reference grammar", to name
a couple of decades-old books, would
still be up to date in the statements they make about thai grammar. some
grammatical disseratations on thai have been done at UH using the lexicase
theoory, but i don't know if these discuss double-object constructions.

perhaps you might make available to the members of this list what you
come up with in your literature search (which will almost certainly
include a number of unpublished dissertations and theses).

christopher court
head, thai language program
university of hawaii at manoa