[Fwd: New Book about Bikol Language of the Philippines] (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Mon Nov 6 04:01:05 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:34:48 -0500 (EST)
From: Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu>
To: cotseal2000 at umich.edu
Cc: psg.cseas at umich.edu, fapam at egroups.com, milmojer at worldnet.att.net
Subject: [Fwd: New Book about Bikol Language of the Philippines] (fwd)

fyi.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:23:55 -0500
From: Zoe Stevens <zoes at umich.edu>
To: Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu>, Susan Go <fsgo at umich.edu>
Cc: Cindy Middleton <csmiddle at umich.edu>, Bonnie Brereton <bbrere at umich.edu>
Subject: [Fwd: New Book about Bikol Language of the Philippines]

-------- Original Message --------
    Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 15:08:14 -0800
    From: "Jason Lobel" <jlobel at san.rr.com>
      To: <csseas at umich.edu>

 Greetings! My name is Jason Lobel, a Linguist from San Diego who has
specialized in Central Philippine languages. I have published a couple
of books on the Bikol language which, with more than four million
speakers, qualifies as one of the eight major Philippine languages. As a
Central Philippine language, it is quite related to Tagalog, in
structure if not in lexicon.

Our first and most noteworthy publication is An Satuyang Tataramon: A
Study of the Bikol Language, which at 400 pages is the first-ever,
comprehensive book published on the Bikol language. It covers everything
from grammar and phonology, to dialectology, socio-linguistics, and
language planning, and even includes a literature section and a
mini-dictionary.  We are confident that it would be an essential
addition to any Linguistics, Asian Studies, or Anthropology program,
especially those which focus on Asian Linguistics or Asian Studies.

An Satuyang Tataramon was published in the Philippines, but we now have
a limited supply available here in the U.S.A. for immediate shipping.
The book is hardbound and costs $19.99 plus $3.20 shipping and handling
within the U.S.A. (slightly higher in Canada and in other countries). If
you would like to find out more about this book, there is a website
available at http://www.pinoy.net/Bikol/Books/index.htm

The other book we have published is a pocketbook entitled Bikol
Phrasebook: A Tourist’s Guide to Speaking Bikol, which is a
helpful little tool for anybody interested in knowing a little about the
Bikol language. This phrasebook is 56 pages long, and costs $3.99 per
copy (plus shipping & handling of $.55).

If you are interested in either of these publications, or if you have
any other questions, please contact me either by e-mail at
jasonlobel at yahoo.com, or by phone at (858) 566-3034, or by mail at 8111
Kenova St., San Diego, CA 92126-3121.

Thank you for your attention.

Jason Lobel