SEALTEACH query: clicks in Southeast Asia (fwd)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at alpha.tu.ac.th
Tue Apr 10 02:18:23 UTC 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 07:58:14 -0600
From: John Grima <MKJGRIMA at ihc.com>
To: sealteach at nectec.or.th
Subject: Re: SEALTEACH query: clicks in Southeast Asia (fwd)

David,
I am fairly confident that I have heard dental and palatal clicks used
in Thai.  Quick, light dental ones as part of an expression of impending
short temper or distaste.  Bigger, louder palatal clicks as part of the
repertoire of story tellers and dramatic talkers from lower class
backgrounds.  Maybe also the latter as an expression of frustration.
... I think I'm going to be surprised if you find any language in which
these highly available verbal gestures are not occasionally part of
expression.  ... I'm fairly confident, also, that I have heard people
gathered around an infant make comparable sounds, dental and bilabial
clicks, as a way of interacting verbally with the child.  In Thailand.
Good luck.
John Grima
6 yrs residence in Thailand; 30 years speaking the language (but not a
lot in the last 15); PhD, Thai linguistics, 1978.