entity names for VN o+ and u+

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE
Mon Apr 30 12:19:25 UTC 2001

> No, that's not due to the design of HTML. HTML is only relying on some
> character set, and it's the character set that determines whether

You perhaps didn't understand what I meant. TeX also operates with
certain charactersets. But you can combine them in such a way, that
you let it e.g. put the entity "acute-accent" over an entity "small
letter s". The font sets that are available e.g. in MS Word include
bare accents too, but one can't use them that way. Fonts that are used
in most Web browsers also have some bare accents. But HTML the way I
know it, doesn't provide for the possibility of placing them over some
letter character. I'm perhaps a bit behind the times?

> needed. Where both precomposed and decomposed representations are provided

It's not really a question of precomposing or decomposing, but of allowing
for composing in situ, so as to make precomposition superflous.

> precomposed representation. (This is done for a number of reasons; for

I find, that none of the reasons outweigh the main handicap of precomposed
representation: illegibility for browsers which do not have the required
special font. This transgresses against the basic idea of Internet:
maximal worldwide unimpeded contact. Precomposed representations create
additional boundaries cutting up the WW-web into script-specific
provinces. Okay, there will of course always remain the division between
Roman-script and Non-Roman-script communities, and between the various
Non-Roman-script. But at least, all Roman-script variants become mutually
accessible. Ditto Cyrillic-script variants. Composed representation
could perhaps encourage the numerous variants of Indic script in South
and Southeast Asia to try and develop a common basic charset.

> If you specify your charset to be UTF-8, then you don't need to use
> entities for any character at all. Any software that is compliant with HTML
> 4.0 is supposed to be able to handle it.

wow, news to me.  I'll try to read up on this UTF-8 thing.
Thank you for the info.

Regards,   Waruno