FWD: Inquiry: Language learning outside school in traditional societies (specific reference to Papua New Guinea)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at tu.ac.th
Thu Aug 16 11:03:40 UTC 2001

>===== Original Message From Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu> =====
fyi

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:09:20 -0400
From: Scott McGinnis <smcginnis at nflc.org>
To: councilnews-list at Glue.umd.edu
Subject: Inquiry: Language learning outside school in traditional societies
    (specific reference to Papua New Guinea)

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 05:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: tomasz wisniewski <tomwisn at yahoo.com>

In an article about language acquisition by George W. Grace,
University of Hawaii, at:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/usr-cgi/ssis/~grace/elniv1.html

in footnote 3 there is mention a of a method used by Papua New Guinea
natives described separetely by Thurston and Laycock.

I have been unable to locate these papers, and I would like to ask
what exactly is the method they describe. It says it doesn't include
grammar theory, but I find these questions also important (e.g. when
considering language acquisition and education in general):

1. Does this method include lessons? Is there time set apart from
normal life to create artificial situation that are described by the
teacher? Does he say more than he would to one who already knows his
language?

2. Is there any system (e.g. concentrating on one subject at a time)
in this method?

3. Does the teacher correct mistakes?

4. How intensive is it? When does the teaching stop and the student is
abandoned to practice only?

I suppose similar methods were also used in countries where there were
many languages spoken: the Caucasus (especially before Russian
occupation, when e.g. Avar was the inter-tribal language), Sudan, and
near borders everywhere.

If you have any infrormation about any of those I will appreciate very
much if you contact me.

Tomasz Wisniewski

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong             yui at tu.ac.th
Department of Linguistics           http://www.tu.ac.th/~yui/
Thammasat University           Thai Language Audio Resource Center:
Bangkok, Thailand 10200              http://thaiarc.tu.ac.th