FWD: Colleagues in all fields working on Southeast Asia

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong yui at tu.ac.th
Fri Oct 5 22:50:10 UTC 2001

>===== Original Message From Adelwisa A Weller <alagawel at umich.edu> =====
fyi.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 22:01:40 -0400
From: Cindy Middleton <csmiddle at umich.edu>
To: SoutheastFac at umich.edu, sea.students at umich.edu
Subject: Colleagues in all fields working on Southeast Asia

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2001 3:10 PM -0400
From: SEAP Program <seap-mailbox at admin.is.cornell.edu>
To: SEAP-L at cornell.edu

To: Colleagues in all fields working on Southeast Asia
From: John MacDougall, Editor, Indonesia Publications - apakabar at radix.net
Subject: Homepage Research on Southeast Asia
Date: October 2, 2001

It may be an act of hubris on my part, but I thought it worthwhile to
alert you to my 'upgraded' homepage

                 http://www.indopubs.com

-- now geared to helping anyone do research work on almost any subject
relating to Indonesia and all other countries in Southeast Asia.  The
homepage merges area studies, interdisciplinary, and comparative
approaches.

On this _single_ page you will find direct links to my three public
Indonesia databases, 1990-1999, Year 2000+, Current Postings -- plus my
ten moderated Web lists.  There are five longstanding lists -- L (best
postings of the day), VIEWS (your opinions), NEWS (current events), DOCS
(use of the Internet to study Indonesia), POLICY (documentation, analysis,
advocacy and policy).  These established databases and lists focus on
but are not confined to Indonesia.

There are now also five _new_ lists which expand the scope of the site --
SEAS (news on all countries of Southeast Asia), TIMOR (news on the whole
Island of Timor and the Timorese diaspora), ACADEME (worldwide academic
study of Indonesia), REGIONS (news on Indonesian provinces outside
Jakarta), HUMOR (amusement and profundity about Indonesia).

You will now also find on the homepage three panels of links which should
substantially facilitate the work of _anyone_ investigating not just
Indonesia but also any or all of the remaining Southeast Asia countries --
and, for that matter, _all countries in the world_, including those most
directly involved in the current crisis involving international terrorism.

Panel 1 - Basic News & Research Links covers the wide _variety_ of
resources we call -- in shorthand -- the 'Internet.' These links are
worldwide in scope.  The remainder of Panel 1 comprises clusters of
subject-specific links which allow in-depth research on Indonesia, but
with almost every subject also including links to sites with worldwide
coverage.  Panel 2 -- Indonesian Regional Links -- gives the Indonesian
coverage countrywide range.  Panel 3 -- Southeast Asia Links -- covers
in similar fashion all countries in Southeast Asia and aids further
cross-national research.

Access to my homepage and all parts of the site are free to you.  I
encourage you to visit, explore, and make best possible use of it.

However, _I_ do have to pay for it all.  Costs have so far been mainly
borne by institutional subscriptions to Indonesia Publications' print
periodicals -- Indonesia Reports: Log, Indonesia Reports: Supplements,
Indonesia News Service, Intel, and a series of ten Briefing Books.  All
these periodicals and books include news, analysis and commentary.

Information on all these titles -- and two new ones, Southeast Asia
Reports and Timor reports -- is available on a special site page

               http://www.indopubs.com/prices.html

which I urge you to print out.  This page holds exactly the same annual
information I supply to library agents.  You may also want to pass it on
-- possibly with some specific recommendations -- to an acquisitions
librarian, a colleague, an online list to which you belong, or a newsgroup
which you read.  Feel free to do the same with the message you are reading
now.

The homepage also explains _three additional ways_ site costs are paid:
1) voluntary donations, made most often by those who use the site heavily
and see a financial contribution as akin to a journal subscription, (2)
annual _email_ subscriptions to one or more of the ten Web lists on the
site, taken out most often by those who find emailed articles convenient
and time-saving, (3) policy- and research-oriented consulting via email
with me, especially by those comfortable working on the Internet but
needing some specialized assistance.

The site is part of my personal contribution to Southeast Asian studies.
As an independent scholar and editor of a publishing business, I do not
have access to 'standard' sources of financing available to affiliated
scholars and non-profit organizations.  I rely on these 'non-standard'
methods to pay for the online project.

Hopefully, my homepage and site will aid you in your own work. Please
mention it to others who might be able to put it to similar good use --
and to others who might help keep the project alive, thriving, and
expanding.  I can always be contacted when needed by email at
apakabar at radix.net.  Response time is usually same or next day.  :-)

Yuphaphann Hoonchamlong      |       yui at tu.ac.th
Department of Linguistics           |  http://www.tu.ac.th/~yui/
Thammasat University           | Thai Language Audio Resource Center:
Bangkok, Thailand 10200      |        http://thaiarc.tu.ac.th