FWD: Inquiry: Use of term "Negrito" for Austronesian & Southeast Asian languages (fwd)

Waruno Mahdi mahdi at FHI-Berlin.MPG.DE
Sat Sep 8 13:31:57 UTC 2001

I agree, that language development, culture development, and race
development are three different processes, that are indeed interrelated,
but nevertheless distinct. It is I think just as confusing to use a
racial identification (assuming such were correct in the first place)
for language or culture, as it is to use a linguistic ID for race or
culture, ar a cultural ID for race or language.

On and around the Malayan Peninsula, some ethnic groups with high
"negrito"-percentage speak Austronesian languages, others speak
Aslian languages, which belong to the Austro-Asiatic language family
or philum. I understand that results of recent investigations suggest
that the Aslian languages are closely related to Mon, and that they
together with Mon form a subgroup within Mon-Khmer (East Austro-Asiatic).

In the Philippines, peoples with high "negrito"-percentage are usually
referred to collectively as Aeta. Their languages are, so far as I
know, all Austronesian (but I am not 100% sure on this point).

Savatdee to all,
Waruno