Pali in Khmer & Sinhalese

navako Navako at metta.lk
Wed Oct 15 14:07:31 UTC 2003

1.  Pali in the Sinhalese Script

    I've had a few e-mails back-and-forth with the good people at Xenotype,
inc., who are currently preparing a font & input method for the Sinhalese
script which will include the extensive modifications necessary for proper
Pali & literary Sinhalese text.  I'll post a message again when the first
version of the software becomes available --they predict this will be less
than a month.

2.  Pali in the Khmer Script

    I thought that I would appeal to this list for any information
concerning the inter-relation of Pali (and literary Khmer) with the
collquial language, and differences in both the phonology (of loan-words)
and in the written script used for texts of this kind.  There is some
information about this scattered about the works of Huffman & Proum, but I
am not aware of any books (or other resources) dedicated to the subject of
Pali in Khmer, or to provide basic preparation and direction for reading and
writing in the literary form of the language (which, I understand, is quite
studded with Sanskrit and Pali loan-words).
    Please note that I cannot (yet) read in modern Khmer, but if there are
all-Khmer resources on the subject, I would be glad to hear of them and note
them for possible future use.  Also, my German is better than my French, but
I expect that there will be more in French than English --and if any
exception French resources are known, I would be glad to hear of them.

Thank you,

E.M.

--
A saying of the Buddha from http://metta.lk/
The good give up (attachment for) everything; the saintly prattle not with