Khmer Transliteration (reply to query)

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Thu Apr 22 05:42:58 UTC 2004

The scanned text of the ALA-LC Romanization Tables for Khmer is at:

  http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/romanization/khmer.pdf

  If you intend to develop transliterated Khmer texts that can be
easily searched and reused by other software applications, the
symbols used for romanization (like dotted characters) should
be selected from an Indic transliteration font and not simply
cobbled together from mixes of diacritics/IPA extensions that
'look' right.  There's an extensive discussion of Indic transliteration
(and pointers to fonts) at:

  http://www.sanskritweb.de/fonts.htm

  While we're on the subject, Khmer Unicode fonts can be found at:

  http://www.bauhahnm.clara.net/Khmer/KhmerOS.ttf
  http://www.cfcambodge.org/khmerfont/Kh-SrokK.ttf

  And a confusing point:  to render properly under WinXP, the application
that uses the Khmer font should include a version of usp10.dll (which
handles font rendering) numbered 1.471.4030 or higher.  This goes in
the application's home directory (apparently there's no easy way to
update the XP system's version of this file).  In other words, to use
Khmer Unicode with Netscape, put this file in the netscp.exe directory:

  http://khmertech.org/unicode/usp10.dll

Khmer Unicode installation is discussed in more detail at:

 http://www.khmeros.info/khmeros_workingsoft.html
 http://www.khmertech.org/

  Doug