Indic-based SEA langauge modernization (SEALEX)

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Wed Sep 22 16:55:26 UTC 2004

I'd be grateful for pointers to any detailed analysis of the
calculated use of Sanskrit and Pali in national language
modernization efforts, in particular for SEA, but for India or
other would be great as well.

   I'm trying to see to what extent it has been possible to build
a systematic equivalent of the modern English word-forming
apparatus using Indic roots.  The question is prompted by a
discussion with Philippe Peycam of the Khmer Studies Center
about difficulty they've had, at the basic lexical level, in
translating modern material into Khmer.

   I am aware only of two relatively limited discussions for SEA,
both re Thai:  _Coining Thai Words_, Prince Wan, JSS 1970,
and _Remarks on Lexical Modernization in Thai_, Chris Court,
Int. Conf. on Thai Studies, Bangkok 1984.

  Thanks,
  Doug Cooper