David's unfortunate art purchase

Mark Alves markalves2004 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 00:52:06 UTC 2005

David,

Bad news on your "Vietnamese" art purchase.  The art
you bought in Vietnam (must have been during the
Pan-Asiatic conference?) looks quite Chinese to me.
It's definitely got literary Chinese grammatical and
basic vocabulary, NOT Vietnamese, and I don't see ANY
No^m words.  There is a small handful of words I can't
readily identify, but those might be slight written
variants, which are seen here or there in the Sinitic
world (e.g., Japanese Kanji variants).

If you REALLY want to see No^m writing, go to the
following website which contains files that show the
famous Tale of Kieu in both Quo^'c Ngu+~ and original
No^m writing.

http://thanglong.ece.jhu.edu/Kieu/kieu.html

Best wishes,

Mark

=====
Mark J. Alves
Montgomery College, Rockville
Department of English, ESL, Foreign Languages, and Philosophy
51 Mannakee St.
Rockville, MD 20850