SEAlang Library

Doug Cooper doug at th.net
Sat Apr 1 02:55:23 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues:

It gives me great pleasure to announce the opening of the
SEAlang Library at  http://library.sealang.net

   Over the next four years, SEAlang will make dictionary and
corpus data and tools available for Thai, Burmese, Lao, Khmer,
Mon, Shan, and Karen (all complex-script alphabets) and Vietnamese.

   SEAlang's first resources target Thai.  Initial work is on-line
now, and development of Thai materials (and the underlying software
infrastructure for all languages) continues through the summer.

   Primary funding for SEAlang comes from the US Department of Education
TICFIA program (UW-Madison Prof. Robert Bickner, PI).  CRCL provides
matching funds and is responsible for implementation.

   I hope that SEAlang Library resources will help enable a wide variety
of projects, some of these can be previewed at http://sealang.net
The SEAcat project ( http://seacat.sealang.net ) which uses SEAlang
Library resources to implement tools to assist SEA library cataloging
and worldwide book search, may be of special interest.

   Many thanks to those who helped make this proposal a reality, with
particular appreciation to Chris Court, and to the late Gwyn Williams.

   Please send comments, suggestions, and reports of any glitches in
the SEAlang Library website to doug at th.net .

   Doug Cooper